Here’s a slogan you’re about to see blasted everywhere like confetti – “New Year, New Me.” We love that, but how about “New Year, New Slate?” Do us a favor, ladies: Don’t spend all your time thinking about what you did in 2018. Instead, think about all you’re going to do in 2019. You know there’s something magical about turning that calendar to January and dreaming about all the potential ahead. That new blank slate is simply stunning. Take advantage of it.
The biggest mistake (I’m talking the blunder that could ruin everything) you can make in your beauty biz is NOT SETTING A GOAL TO GROW. Note the all caps? That’s how serious we are. You’ve worked too hard for your business to end.
Maybe your client book is filled to the brim and you’re doing a well-choreographed happy dance. That’s wonderful! But does that mean you’ve made it? No! Read this twice – Accomplishing a goal gives you time to make more goals. We’ll say it again for those in the back: Accomplishing a goal gives you time to make more goals.
The beauty industry is constantly changing and evolving. This means you need to keep up with the latest trends, techniques, services, products and marketing tactics. You don’t want to get left behind and stuck in the past. We’ve seen salons with a paper booking system and photos of 90s hair models on the wall. Customers might see this and think you aren’t up to date on your skill set (which we know is untrue, but clients could get this impression.)
Failing to strive for growth may not seem like a problem right now. Hey, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, right? But this could ultimately affect your entire operation as you stay stagnant while your competition is always changing to fit evolving customer wants and demands. Ask yourselves questions like, “Could my retail sales could be higher?” or “Could I strategically increase my average ticket price by upselling luxury services?” And “Should I work on my reputation by getting my name out there in salon magazines and become established as a beauty or wellness expert?”
Don’t forget, it’s ok to be comfortable with where you’re at, and to be proud of what you’ve accomplished! Revel in that success. Go celebrate. But look ahead to figure out what’s next.
So, how do you grow when you think you’re ok? We’ve compiled some great tips to follow:
1. Always learn! Whether it’s through books, podcasts, blogs, or even a fellow Girl Boss, there is always more to learn.
2. Make a list of ultimate dreams for your career, or your dream lifestyle. Don’t hold back! If it’s something you deem unrealistic, that just means you need to get a real plan together so you can see the steps you need to take.
3. Work backward from those big dreams to uncover the steps and milestones you need to surpass to reach those goals.
4. Break down each of those steps and milestones even smaller. Turn them into a process you can actually follow.
5. Network with other professionals to create mentors. In turn, share any insights you have that might help them on their journey. You have to give to get!
We’re sure you’re going to rock the “New Year, New Me,” craze, but don’t forget about that pretty slate that’s been erased just for you. We’re dying to know: What’s your goal for the year?
Written by Tara Regan